Widowed and overworked, food anthropologist Maggie Brodbeck struggles to spend quality time with her daughter, Hannah. She doesn’t have time to breathe, let alone pursue personal happiness. Then, Maggie receives an invitation from her estranged great-aunt Alice to visit her Wisconsin farm. Desperate for a break, Maggie finds Rosehill Farm to be a revelation. In Alice, Maggie finds a kindred spirit. They share a natural rhythm. The calming pace of country living is made even sweeter when Maggie meets Brady, a local pastry chef. Then Maggie opens her aunt’s treasured box of recipes and discovers the threads of her heroic family history. The recipes not only shed light on the past but reconnect Maggie to her love of cooking and to a life of contentment close to her heart, and back to herself.
This was one of the most amazing, and moving novels that I have read in a long time. I felt a kinship with the main character because I'm also a widow. And I know that it can be hard to find your footing in a world when your significant other is no longer with you. I found Maggie to be a strong, intelligent and capable woman. The farm was such a dynamic setting that I found it more like another character because it grew and had hardships like any other character. Feeling the love from the other townspeople jump off the page made me want to visit this town. This was a sweet contemporary romance with no intense sexual scenes. This book was a selection from the Amazon First Reads program.

No comments:
Post a Comment