Friday, January 13, 2023

A Book Club Crime!

 

Crime for the Books (Jane Doe Book Club Mystery #3)Crime for the Books by Kate Young
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Lyla Moody and her book club, the Jane Does, are hosting a Halloween party at Magnolia Manor, tailored after Agatha Christie’s A Murder is Announced. When the lights come on after the staged murder, a real victim lies dead with a gunshot wound in her chest. The victim was a relative of Elaine Morgan, operator of the B&B, who’d earlier been seen arguing with her about the fate of the property. Suspicion falls on Elaine, and she’s arrested. Believing Elaine is innocent, the Jane Does team up with police officer Rosa Landry, who’s a member of the club, to find the truth.
This was a good cozy mystery to read on a rainy night in front of a roaring fireplace. It was suspenseful and the plot kept me guessing until the very end. I felt there were too many suspects and side characters. I was confused about some of the relationships between them. Lastly, some of the language used seemed inappropriate. I really believe that a writer doesn’t have to use curse words, there are so many other words in the English language to use. I want to thank Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for this advanced reader’s copy. This review is my unbiased opinion.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment